Traditional Literature: Timeless Fun

Image result for movies about the three little pigs"I'll huff and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house down!" Sound familiar? Of course, because everyone has read
 The Story of the Three Little Pigs. This classic was originally written by James Halliwell-Phillipps and included in a book of nursery rhymes published in 1886 but has been retold countless times. The Story of the Three Little Pigs tells a cautionary tale of three pigs who leave their home to experience bigger things in life. The three pigs go their separate ways and build homes for themselves. The first pig carelessly built a house out of straw, the second built out of sticks, and the third out of bricks. When a mean wolf came to find his next meal, he easily blew down the first and second pig's houses and ate them. When he got to the third pig, he was unable to blow his house down because the third pig worked hard to build a sturdy house. The wolf tried to climb in the brick house's chimney but was tricked and eaten by the third pig. In variations of this book, the three pigs ran to the brick house and were safe instead of being eaten. There have been movies made about this piece of traditional literature that used humor and extra characters while telling the story (and some other stories). Traditional literature can be used in many fashions and in a large range of age groups. Preschoolers can enjoy and learn from traditional stories like Red Riding Hood, etc., and the teacher could have many different versions of the story to choose from depending on which version is most appropriate for the age. There are many books that fall into this category and have stayed popular for this long for good reasons. Do yourself and your kids a favor and pick up a traditional literature text.

Comments

  1. I thought it was cool how you talked about the different versions for the different age groups. It is always important that we make sure our students can understand what they are reading! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great talk Madi! I love this classic traditional book, that is also a movie. I feel that it is a great choice because it is funny and includes different characters for students to think about. I also like that there are different variations of the book and each one can be read to compare how they are the same and different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good book to have chosen, who doesn't love the Three little Pigs, this is a good classic Traditional literature book. I agree with you I think this book can be chosen for many different ages, I remember acting this book out in school and I was the Big Bad Wolf, so that's something you could do with your class in the future have them acting out parts of the characters its super fun ands it a way for the kids to get into character. But overall I thought your blog was great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the book you chose! I really like how you talked about the different ways that traditional literature can be used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed you comment about choosing a different version of a book based on the reading level. Being able to tell a story to different aged kids that still keeps the main theme is really interesting. You killed it Madi:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sea, Sand, Me!