Social Studies? Check!

Good evening, future educators. Tonight I am going to share with you a true treasure of a book called “Before She Was Harriet.” This book was written by Lesa Cline-Ransome and illustrated by James E. Ransome. I was recommended this book when searching for a biography and I am thrilled that this was the selection offered. Harriet Tubman was an
American hero in the way she saved and influenced many lives through the Underground Railroad. Everyone knows the name Harriet Tubman for that reason: the ringleader of the Underground Railroad. But what happened in her life before she was the ringleader and life saver? She wore many hats and played many roles, each serving a significant purpose. When you are teaching a social studies class or lesson, you always want to involve real life examples that the age group you are teaching can understand. This book is a biography because it has factual content about a woman who influenced history. I loved reading this book because the pictures were beautiful and the words sounded poetic. I also had not known the information about Harriet Tubman before I had read this. If you are teaching a social studies lesson on the Underground Railroad, I highly reccomend “Before She Was Harriet.” 

Comments

  1. I really like how you told about who she was and what she did in her life. I agree if someone is teaching about the Underground Railroad this would be a great book to read! It tells the story of what she did to help people. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madi, I love the book that you chose. I think it's a great book to have in a social studies lesson. I think since you said it has beautiful pictures and poetic words in it, it could definitely keep the interest of young learners; especially since social studies is often an area of struggle for many students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madi I think this is a great book for this subject. I really enjoyed the description you gave in class along with the details in your post. You did a good job at picking This book is a really cool way to go deeper into the life of Harriet Tubman and how her actions changed the world we live in today. 10/10 bud:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sea, Sand, Me!