Nonfiction Doesn't Mean Nonfun!

Image result for pumpkin pumpkin bookHappy October! This month brings the cool weather, fall colors, and Halloween! I love October and everything that comes along with it. In  the preschool class I work with, we have been learning about fall themes. Since we use pumpkins a lot in the fall (picking, carving, eating, etc.), we integrated this fruit into our learning. Last week we read a cute story, watched a video, and even cut open a pumpkin to learn more about them. The story we read was a lovely book called "Pumpkin, Pumpkin" by Jeanne Titherington. As you can see by the cover, it is an illustrated book featuring a young boy. This story follows Jamie through the process of a pumpkin's life cycle. He picks a pumpkin, harvests the seeds, plants them, and watches his own pumpkin grow. Although this book is fun and illustrated, it is nonfiction because of the true story it tells. We call this literary nonfiction because it reads as a fiction storybook but also contains true facts. Reading this book in the preschool classroom helped the children understand how a pumpkin that we pick and carve grows from a little seed. After the lesson, they were able to see the seeds in the real pumpkin which helped their understanding. I would recommend using nonfiction in the classroom as a tool for teaching and understanding as I did. There are many types of nonfiction to chose from and many different levels to choose based on the appropriate age and development.

Comments

  1. I love how you picked a book related to the theme of this month. Teaching children how a pumpkin is grown is a cute way of incoporating this theme. I also like how you mentioned that it is a literary nonfiction book because it is a true storybook with actual facts that can be applied to life like situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's awesome how you matched your book with the fall season. I think that is a fun way to get your students interested in whats going on around them. I also like how you related this to what you are doing in your preschool classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is really cool how you talked about the activities that you can do with the book. I also did a book with the fall theme. It is important on keeping lessons with the season so that children will understand what they are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you chose a book that related to the month of October! I highly recommend having your lessons and activities integrated with a theme thats taking place. I also think that this book is great for young children because it gives relatable situations. This will gain the children's attention and they will be able to learn important facts about the seasonal festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your book choice for the month of October! This will be a very fun and educational book to read to your students in the classroom during the fall season. I feel like the kids would really enjoy it, especially if you had an activity to go along with it. The month of October is perfect for carving pumpkins, so it is good to teach your children about them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sea, Sand, Me!