Owen and the Tortoise

Hello everyone! Today I am introducing a book that could be part of teaching my very favorite subject, science. Teaching (and learning) science can be confusing at lower grade levels, so instead of giving your second graders a chemistry set, begin with a picture book. The book I found is called "Owen and the Tortoise," written by Katie Knight. This story is based on actual events that occurred when a young hippopotamus named Owen was swept away from his mother by a tsunami. A park ranger rescued Owen and brought him to a wildlife park where he met a tortoise who reminded him of his mother. This book is short and has appropriate content for young ages, but it has some more complex vocabulary words which gears this book for second grade. Personally I would use "Owen and the Tortoise" during a lesson about animals, natural disasters, or even geography (even though that's not science). I recommend you take a look at this book and consider using it in a science lesson in your future classroom.

Comments

  1. I always thought that science was one of the hardest subjects to learn. I think this is a great book to use with young students in which they would be interested in. They may even relate to it because they may have a turtle! This is a cute way to introduce science to natural disasters that happen in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very interesting book that I would love to read! Science can be boring at times, but I believe this book would keep students attention because it tells a story while they are learning about science. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sea, Sand, Me!